Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, August 2, 2010

Not All Photographers are Created Equal

“Don’t worry my _________ is a wedding photographer."

Fill in the blank with whatever noun you choose, but know that you could very well be gambling with evidence of one of the most important days of your life.

That sounds harsh, I know, but I also know all too well how devastating it is to find out that your wedding photos did not turn out.  If you're a client of ours, you have probably already heard my spiel on hiring a photographer.  As a professional planner, I am bombarded by people who own a camera and consider themselves "professional wedding photographers".  They certainly want to get on our radar and why not, we have the capacity to recommend many clients their way.  But be forewarned; not all photographers are created equally.

My husband and I, with our two adult children, recently renewed our wedding vows after twenty-five years of marriage.  The main reason for doing so, was to show that we would make the same decision today as we did in 1985.  Renewing our vows was also a way for us to celebrate the wonderful years we've had together.  But, there was more.

Upon learning of our engagement late in '84, a friend who was a photography professor at a nearby college graciously offered to take our wedding photos for only the cost of the film and printing (no digital back then!).  While we had not seen any of her images, we were not concerned.  But something happened.  The film got damaged and alas, she had not a single image for us.  At most, we have probably half a dozen images the best man's wife took with her 126 camera.  And trust me, she was no photographer!

Just days after returning from our vow renewal in Colorado Springs, I found out that a very similar experience happened to my nephew and his new wife.  The bride, a photographer, had enlisted a friend and fellow photographer to capture the memories of her special day on film only to find out that the friend had used the wrong lens.  No photos.

While accidents can happen to anyone, there are ways to be prepared.  First, as the bride and groom, allow your planner to make recommendations of professionals with which she has confidence.  Second, ask if the photographer brings an assistant who will also be photographing.  Third, find out if they bring a backup camera...just in case.  Finally, if a friend offers their assistance politely decline stating that you've heard horror stories and don't want any remote possibility of something like that coming between your friendship.  Tell her you would much rather her celebrate with you by being a guest.

Twenty-five years later and I love our wedding photos!  A huge thank you to Tamera at Click Photography for filling that void.  However, my advice to my nephew and anyone else in the same boat is to get dressed up again and go get some photos!  In twenty-five years, it will not matter to you that it was three or four weeks after your wedding day.  You'll still have that big smile...from the bliss of being a newlywed!

Here's a small sampling of what a great photographer can do!




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jami, you made my job easy! It was a treat working with you and your beautiful family. I have a similar sad story about an amateur photographer shooting my own wedding -- it was a friend of mine, a coworker in the camera store where we both worked. His pictures were so terrible that my mom cried when she saw them. Brides, always do your research and hire someone who has a lot of experience photographing weddings! Having "a nice camera" is not a qualifier. Practically everyone claims to be a photographer in this day and age. Listen to Jami's wise words and hire the best photographer you can afford! Thanks Jami for being such a great bride and an advocate for professional wedding photographers :o) Tamera (Click Photography)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had this conversation with a groom-to-be this weekend. His fiancee was trying to get him to see the importance of hiring a professional photographer. He thought that having his friends use their point and shoot cameras would suffice. I explained composition, color correction, and correct exposure to him. I also explained to him that part of being a wedding photographer is having the experience to anticipate each moment. By the end of our consultation he understood how important hiring a professional was.

    Like Tamera, I am unhappy with my wedding photos. I often think of putting my dress back on (I think it fits lol) and hiring someone to take some photos of my husband and I. More than likely we'll renew our vows one day like you Jami. Thanks for posting this and Congrats on your vow renewal and beautiful photos!!Comfort- www.comfortphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, for sharing your personal experiences. And Comfort, put on that dress and get back in front of the camera! You'll be so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!